Monday, August 13, 2007

off campus housing

It's time to start deciding where you want to live as a sophomore. If you desire to live in a house or apartment, action needs to be taken extremely early. Most people I know close the deal early in the fall semester. Another option is to join a fraternity or sorority. I always thought Greek life was definitely something I wanted to be a part of but after partying in them all summer I feel somewhat differently. Don't get me wrong, the parties are great, but actually living in one of these animal houses is a horse of a different color. Breaking out in pimples would probably be the least of my worries as a member of a frat. Before you are honorably granted the right to live one of these shitholes, you have to pledge. Pledging, from what I’ve heard, consists of the most heinous, self-degrading hazing tactics imaginable. Basically pledges are the "bitches" of the fraternity for a semester. Not only is the hazing horrible, but a pledge's grades will suffer drastically. As freshmen, we just arrived at Penn State, the second biggest party school in the country, and are looking to get a solid education as well. It's one thing balancing work and fun, but how do you manage the trio- fun, work and being a “bitch.” Unless you are a genius, this might be a tough task.

After contemplating where I wanted to live, I decided a house would be the most logical out of the three. I’m not really an apartment kind of guy, so it was either frat or house. A frat would impair my health simply because they are not taken care of and seem like they’re strictly party spots. Although a house seems like the wisest decision, I have to make sure I love the guys I’m living with. These are aspects of off campus living I’ll be thinking about going into the fall semester. I’m looking forward to it.

No comments: